Sunday, October 28, 2007

Into the Night

The children start Trick or Treating at about 6:00 PM on Beggars Night. The younger kids hit my house while there is still a bit of light so it is not so spooky. However, the older kids, and those looking for a thrill wait until the sun sets to get the full effect!



This picture was taken in 2002, before I had curtains. This isn't the best picture, but I liked the fact that you could get an idea of what it looks like looking into the house from the outside.



I made this wreath a very long time ago. I have yet to be able to take a good picture of it, and now it is getting to the point it needs some work done on it! [grin] Maybe this year!!!



See!!! I do have bats in my belfry!!!



Even the concrete goose gets into the act!!! I got this outfit in my little hometown about ten years ago, I think. Unfortunately the shop went out of business, and the lady who sewed the outfits retired.



This guy was my "ugly gift" one Christmas. I love him!!! He sits in the backyard and presides over the graveyard. Although, I'm thinking of moving the graveyard to the front yard where it can be seen easier. That would add smoke and strobe lights to the spook factor in the front!





These pictures were all taken in 2004. The year 2005 looked much the same but my hand was not as steady on the camera!





2006 heralded in more strands of lights, but because of gusty winds and rain, I skipped the spider webbing and the cemetery "stones" were moved inside to the stairwell.



Okay... so here is how it works. Those brave enough start walking timidly up my drive. They see the bats in the upstairs windows. All those eyes glowing in the bushes beneath those spider webs filled with all manner of spiders. There is a great big "leaf sack" cat standing in front of those bushes. What is that fluttering above the garage! Oooo... it's a big scary bat beast. Should they go on? Look in the flower pot! It's a sign saying that the haunted house is for sale!!! There is a rock by the bushes with the glowing warning to "Go Back"!!! Now there are all those little blinking eyes in all of the windows. Look... there's even some blinking inside the car over there! Well... that doesn't look too scary. There are spooky sound effects being piped outside and it is very dark on the porch with all of the outside lights replaced with black lights. It is at this point that some freak out and refuse to go any further. Those who make enough noise will attract the attention of those dwelling inside, and their treat will be brought out to them. However, the fun continues for those brave enough to venture up to the porch. The pumpkin tins are giving off a little bit of light. The windsocks don't look too scary... unless the wind blows a bit and triggers them! And they are lit up a little bit by those glow sticks hooked inside them. The pumpkin looks a bit frightening, though. What are those things all around it? RATS!!! Oh my... but it is only a couple of feet to the door! Gulp. They steel their nerves and take a big step forward to ring the doorbell... and set off my trap! [evil grin] As they step on the doormat they trigger the mat hidden underneath it and the speaker concealed behind the pumpkin comes alive with a hideous cackling laugh. If I am lucky, this elicits shrieks or yelps from those who have made it this far. The added noise then triggers the sound activated devices I have hidden inside the windsocks. All three light up and start vibrating wildly while emitting spooky wails (in three different pitches). Yes... I do realize that it is the little beggars that are supposed to play the tricks if they don't get a treat, but it is so much fun!!! And just so you know, I am always willing to chase them down the drive to give them their treat if they bolt!!!

2 comments:

Joyce Spear said...

These are some seriously cool pics! Thanks for posting them. Maybe one of these years I'll get to see the display in person (I hope)!

Regarding the email you sent earlier today ("find the differences in the pictures"): You SNOT!!! I nearly had to call a neighbor to peel me off the ceiling! LOL! I tried to send you an email in return, but it bounced twice.

Anyway, Happy Halloween!!!

Keely said...

You are always welcome, my dear!

I think my e-mail account was haunted there for a while, however it seems to be working now.